Sometimes, it’s just not your day… or year.
10) Chinese couple pays 190,000 yen for superbly ugly pre-wedding photo shoot in Japan
If money can’t buy happiness, then one would hope it could at least buy a decent photo shoot in Japan. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case for this couple.
9) 700-year-old section of the Great Wall ‘saved’ with a layer of cement, netizens appalled
Behold! One of mankind’s new modern wonders of the world — the Great Wall of Concrete. Courtesy of the Cultural Relics Bureau of Suizhong county in Liaoning province.
8) Asian man has his photo rejected by passport software because his ‘eyes were closed’
In December, a New Zealand man of Asian descent had his passport photograph rejected with the extremely racist facial recognition software claiming that his eyes were closed… despite the fact that they were clearly open.
7) Man gets ring stuck on penis for 2 days, firefighters finally free his manhood in delicate 90-min operation
In yet another warning for men to be careful when accessorizing their junk, one Guangxi man spent two uncomfortable days with a ring around his penis.
6) Man accidentally gets his balls stuck between two magnets while performing ‘magnetic therapy’
Soon after, a man in Guangdong province did perhaps the worst thing you could possibly do with a pair of magnets, he got them stuck on his balls.
5) Groom shocked to find out that his ‘pregnant bride’ was actually a man
So, it takes a bit of skill to catfish a guy online and convince him that you are a woman. It takes considerably more skill to get that guy to marry you, but to fool him into believing you are pregnant, now that requires a master.
4) Granny mistakenly prays before statue of online game character
An elderly woman was spotted in April trying to prostrate herself before the old gods, not realizing that the statue she was bowing to was instead the idol of a new era — Garen from League of Legends.
3) The architect of China’s Great Firewall embarrassed after needing to use VPN in front of live audience
Also in April, Fan Binxing, architect of the China’s infamous Great Firewall, was put in the embarrassing position of having to use a VPN in front of a live audience when trying to access a blocked web page. The incident was so embarrassing that Fang ended up ducking out of a planned Q and A session that was supposed to take place after the speech, though not before exhorting his listeners to do he said and not as he did.
2) China’s futuristic ‘straddling bus’ now sits abandoned, gathering dust and blocking traffic
China’s once-celebrated Traffic Elevated Bus (TEB) has been left abandoned in the middle of a Hebei city road, not having moved once since early September. Originally touted as the futuristic solution to urban traffic jams, the “straddling bus” is currently causing them.
1) What happens when you undergo cupping therapy every day for a month
After undergoing cupping therapy every day for a month back in June. A 63-year-old man from Sichuan province started feeling the effects, namely seven gruesome marks that appeared on his back.
WE LEAVE YOU WITH THIS…
Check out last year’s top moments here.
Follow Shanghaiist on WeChat