Here are some stories to warm the cockles of even the coldest hearts. Maybe 2016 wasn’t so bad after all?
10) An unlikely love story between an American teacher and Chinese farmer captures netizens’ hearts
The tale of how an American woman named Tiffany and a Chinese man named Cai Xiaohua met, fell in love, and got hitched, despite differences in background, class and language warmed the hearts of Chinese netizens in December.
9) Chinese factory makes autistic British boy a lifetime supply of his favorite blue cups
A British father desperately trying to help his autistic son finally had his prayers answered by a factory located halfway around the world in China.
8) Multimillionaire gives up all his assets to move to rural village and marry simple farmer
Yao Nanshan, a 57-year-old Chinese expat multimillionaire who had been living in Spain, gave up everything he had in Europe to move to a rural Zhejiang village and spend his life with the simple farmer he fell in love with.
7) Henan mom’s touching letter to her migrant son moves netizens to tears
“I gave you money yesterday, but you wouldn’t take it, so I stuffed 300 yuan in your bag at night… Son, remember to stay safe out there. Even if you don’t make a single cent, we only want you to be safe.”
6) Picture of McDonald’s worker feeding burger to disabled customer melts hearts online
“The worker didn’t discriminate against the disabled, but instead, he fed him the burger with love and patience. Thank you for your compassion. You gave him a full meal and he can continue to live his life. His boss should give him a raise!” wrote the diner who posted the image onto Facebook.
5) Meet Barbie! Adorable amputee poodle teaches herself to walk on hind legs after motorcycle crash
Hailing from Sichuan, Barbie the poodle became a viral sensation in January after netizens discovered the inspiring story of how she learned to walk once again.
4) Chinese netizens flock to the Great Wall to show their support for American 8-year-old battling cancer
With only a few weeks left to live, 8-year-old cancer patient Dorian had one last wish: to be famous on the Great Wall of China. Thanks to an incredible outpouring of support from netizens across China, that dream became a reality.
3) Filial son takes his paralyzed father with him to university
“My dad took care of me. Now that he’s ill, I can’t just leave him behind,” Zhao Delong said, explaining his decision to take his father with him to school earlier this year.
2) New McCafé ad in Taiwan features heartwarming coming-out scene, religious fundies urge boycott
While not everyone agreed with the advertisement’s message of acceptance, the heartfelt commercial was met with mostly positive comments on social media
1) British man adopts stray dog that ran right beside him in 250-kilometer marathon through Gobi Desert
A British man set out to run a grueling seven-day, 250-kilometer marathon across the Tian Shan mountain range in northwestern China called the “Gobi Desert March.” He had his sights set on racing to the finish line as fast as he could, or at least that was the goal until he met a friend along the way.
WE LEAVE YOU WITH THIS…
Check out last year’s top moments here.
Follow Shanghaiist on WeChat