In many ways, 2016 marked a record low for humanity. Here are some of this year’s worst human beings.
10) Passenger throws water on stewardesses after they spill juice on him and refuse to write an apology
While flight attendants were serving drinks on a China Southern Airlines flight from Beijing, the ride got a little bumpy, causing them to accidentally spill a few drops of cranberry juice on a passenger. Unsatisfied with just a verbal apology, the man demanded a written one as well. When he didn’t get it, he decided to take revenge.
9) China’s infamous ‘snake spirit boy’ arrives in Singapore, says he ‘hates this classless place the most’
“Don’t think you are better than me just because you can speak some English. I can’t speak English, but I’m still higher class than you,” the infamous “Snake Spirit Boy” wrote online upon arriving in Singapore, causing Singaporean netizens to tell him to get the fuck out and not come back.
8) Chinese patriot attacks man for wearing Nike shoes after South China Sea ruling
After the international tribunal ruling in The Hague regarding the South China Sea, Chinese nationals began expressing their outrage in a variety of odd ways.
7) Dunkin’ Donuts employee ridicules Chinese American mom’s accent, internet backlash ensues
A Chinese American mom visited a Dunkin’ Donuts store in Forrest Hills, New York, along with her one-year-old son and his nanny in June. Rather than getting a delicious chocolate donut, she instead got humiliated by an employee there.
6) ‘Father of the year’ abducts son from mistress, sells him for 44,000 yuan to pay off debts
After being beaten up by his creditors, a married man sold his illegitimate son in an attempt to repay some of the 3 million yuan debt that he owed. Most people would never be able to put a price tag on their child, but if you had to, how does 44,000 yuan sound?
5) Chinese netizens pissed at Dutch ‘pranksters’ for showering Asian passersby with milk powder on the street
Back in January, two Dutch guys ignited an internet firestorm after posting a video of themselves online throwing milk powder at innocent Asian passersby on the streets of Amsterdam in what they called a “prank.”
4) Video of a woman being slapped, stuffed inside the trunk of a car while bystanders look on goes viral online
A shocking video went viral in June showing a woman being slapped and stuffed inside the trunk of a car by a man in Hebei province with no one stepping forward to help her. Turns out, the man was the woman’s wife. Later, she refused to report a crime to the police and instead said she wished to mend their relationship.
3) Father viciously kicks boy in the spine after the kid bumped into his daughter on the playground
Immediately after the boy accidentally bumped into his daughter sending her falling to the ground, the man stepped forward and delivered a vicious kick straight to the poor kid’s spine. The boy was then left crying and writhing in pain on the ground while the father returned to his seat like nothing happened.
2) Ungrateful son beats up his parents in the street for buying him a ‘too small’ apartment
In November, a video hit the Chinese internet showing a young man beating up an older couple in the streets. It turned out that the couple were in fact the man’s parents. As a wedding present, they had had the gall to buy him an apartment that was “too small.”
1) Inhuman driver drags dog to its death on road in Shandong
China’s public enemy number one this year tied a dog to the back of his SUV and then began accelearting faster and faster until the poor pup could no longer keep up.
WE LEAVE YOU WITH THIS…
Check out last year’s top moments here.
Follow Shanghaiist on WeChat