The escalators almost claimed another one.
On Wednesday in Chongqing’s Jiulongpo District a 6-year-old boy accidentally got his hand stuck inside a escalator at the entrance of a local residence community. Firefighters arrived quickly, and began using a variety of different tools to try to get his hand free.
Being the experts that they are, the rescue effort only took 10 minutes. The boy was taken to the hospital afterward with hand fortunately still attached to the rest of his body.
Watch the rescue below:
This kid was one of the lucky ones. China’s troubling escalator epidemic began in June 2015 when a mother and her son were traveling up an escalator inside a Hubei shopping mall when a metal plate suddenly gave in beneath them. The mom just managed to push her young son to safety before being sucked into the machinery and killed.
Following that high-profile incident, more and more escalator accidents began making national news with a number of children being seriously injured or killed when playing unattended near escalators, terrifying the country.
For the last little while; however, things have been quiet… almost too quiet.
[Images via Oriental Daily]
Follow Shanghaiist on WeChat