Chinese web users from across the country are voicing their support for a woman who was the victim of a gruesome attack in Lijiang last year after some recent photos of the woman were published online, along with her suicide note.
The brutal attack took place one night inside a barbeque shop in the Yunnan tourist town last November when around a dozen drunk men attacked a pair of female tourists. One of the victims, surnamed Dong, said that she was hit in the back of the head with a beer bottle, beat up and then dragged out into the street where one man used the broken shards of a bottle to cut open her face, telling her that he wanted to scar her for life.
Dong said that one of men recorded the attack on his phone, which occurred out in public. Yet, not one person stepped in to stop it. Afterward, the men took away their victims’ phones and told them to tell police that they had had an “accident.” The thugs added that they had good connections with local authorities.
By January, Dong was so frustrated with the pace of the Lijiang police’s investigation into the incident that she decided to tell the whole world her story on her Weibo account, @琳哒是我 (Lin Da I am). The post also included a series of shocking photos of her injures, showing her with a swollen face covered in blood, a pair of black eyes and a long gash running down the length of her nose requiring six stitches.
Her post quickly went viral online with Weibo users accusing the police of trying to cover up the crime. The Lijiang Public Security Bureau responded quickly by setting up a special task force and arresting six suspects.
But things have not become any easier for Dong since then. Reporters visited her at the Guangdong Provincial People’s Hospital on Monday where she told them that “My appearance and my dignity have both been trampled on. Because of the attack, my mother has become sick and my boyfriend and I have broken up. I really don’t know why I continue to live.”
Dong said that in over three months she has racked up 150,000 yuan in medical bills. She doesn’t have the money to hire a lawyer and who will cover her plastic surgery fees hasn’t yet been settled.
In February, she even wrote a suicide note to her mom on Weibo which begins: “Mom, when you see this message, maybe I will have left this world. I don’t know how I can keep on living. I don’t have any courage…”
One of the only things that gives her hope is the fact that her case entered the trial period last week. Still, she wonders why police have only been able to arrest six suspects when at least nine were involved in the attack.
Earlier this month, the local government published a second medical evaluation which again said that she had suffered only “second-grade minor injuries” from the attack. A result that Dong finds ludicrous whenever she looks in the mirror.
After the latest photos of her taken 136 days after the attack were published online, thousands upon thousands of Chinese web users have wrote in words of encouragement for Dong with her story become the top trending topic on Weibo.
On her own Weibo account, she has thanked netizens for their support, saying that it’s because of good people like them that she is able to press on.
[Images via 红星新闻]
Follow Shanghaiist on WeChat