One Chinese tour group’s trip through Europe hasn’t exactly gone as expected after they were robbed of their passports and luggage on their first day on the continent.
The 16 tourists arrived in Rome on Sunday as part of a 13-day group tour through Italy, Switzerland and France organized by Ctrip which cost them each about 20,000 yuan. At the airport, they were picked up in a bus by a local travel agency. Once in town, they were told to leave their luggage on the bus, while going out to explore the city with their credit cards.
One tourist told the Shanghai Morning Post that when they returned at the agreed upon time, they were informed by the driver that their luggage had been stolen, along with the tour guide’s briefcase which contained all of their passports. The driver said that he had left the bus in a parking lot for one hour to go out and get some lunch. There were no signs of forced entry.
Obviously, this incident has thrown a wrench into the group’s travel plans. They were forced to stay in Rome until they received temporary travel documents on Tuesday instead of heading on to Florence.
It’s not exactly clear what will happen to the tour. Ctrip has offered to provide each tourist with 1,300 euros in cash, along with upgraded accommodations and refunds for any skipped event. Meanwhile, police are currently investigating the case.
The incident has gone viral on Chinese social media, threatening to erase all the goodwill created with Italian police patrols on the Great Wall and the Bund.
Follow Shanghaiist on WeChat