A Chinese company has defeated seven rivals in a bidding war for the privilege of building the tallest building on the continent of Africa.
State-owned giant China Railway Construction Corporation (CRCC) announced yesterday that it would be cooperating with Morocco’s largest contractor to build the 250-meter-tall tower in the Moroccan capital of Rabat as a symbol of the African country’s development, as well as of its ties to China.
CRCC will take responsibility for 60% of the project, which is budgeted at $380 million, while their Moroccan partners, The General Construction Company of Casablanca (TGCC), handle the other 40%. The skyscraper will be home to office space, luxury apartments and hotels.
The announcement was finalized at this week’s high-profile Belt and Road Forum in Beijing. Along with building roads and trains, China has encouraged other countries who have signed onto its grand infrastructure initiative to build up their skylines as well.
Earlier this year, two Chinese companies signed a joint-venture to construct the world’s tallest twin towers in Cambodia’s capital of Phnom Penh. Once complete, the towers will include 133 floors and reach 560 meters in height, 108 meters taller than the current record-holder, Kuala Lumpur’s Petronas Towers. They would also be 372 meters taller than the city’s tallest building at the moment.
Currently, the tallest building in Africa is the Carlton Centre in Johannesburg at 223 meters in height. The tallest building in Morocco? The Casablanca Twin Center at a mere 115 meters. Chinese companies are also set to build the tallest buildings in Kenya and Ethiopia as well.
While China is home to the world’s second tallest building in the Shanghai Tower, along with the 4th, 7th, 9th and 10th tallest buildings, it’s not yet clear if less developed countries will be able to support colossal skyscrapers quite as well as does the densely populated parts of the Middle Kingdom.
[Images via The Paper]
Follow Shanghaiist on WeChat