A campus snack stall has been forced to close down in Nanning after one customer happened to discover a little something extra in her bowl of rice noodles — a snake.
The female student said that she discovered the secret ingredient in her bowl of take-out snail rice noodles when she returned to her dorm room on Friday and started to eat. Grossed out, she snapped a photo of the noodles before flushing them down the toilet.
She later uploaded that photo to her WeChat account where it quickly went viral on Chinese social media and eventually caught the attention of local health authorities who paid the snack stall a visit on Saturday.
The owner of the stall vehemently denied that the snake had come from his kitchen. Nevertheless, officials discovered that the stall’s food storage was unhygienic and its sourcing undocumented, ordering the shop to temporalily close down until changes were made, the Nanning Evening News reports.
But who knows, maybe raw snake is the perfect complement to snail rice noodles?
[Images via Weibo]
Follow Shanghaiist on WeChat