One woman has managed to win internet fame, though not exactly in the way that she had hoped after being forced to abruptly end her live stream and rush herself to the hospital after discovering that the plant she was eating was not what she thought it was.
To prepare for her live stream, the 26-year-old woman surnamed Zhang had bought two waxy green leaves that she thought were aloe vera, a plant purported to have various health benefits when eaten raw.
After taking her first bite, Zhang exclaims, “This is great!” However, upon taking her second bite, she begins to realize that something is terribly wrong. “Oh, that tastes bitter. Really bitter,” she says to the camera.
It turns out that what Zhang was chomping down on was not aloe vera, but Agave Americana (American aloe), a poisonous plant from Mexico that is very not edible. Zhang said that just one bite made her mouth go numb and her throat feel like it was on fire.
At the hospital, doctors found that Zhang had broken out into rashes and blisters and were forced to pump her stomach to remove parts of the poisonous plant and save her life. She is reported to be in stable condition.
[Images via Oriental Daily / h/t Asia One]
Follow Shanghaiist on WeChat