China’s grand plans of putting people and potatoes on the moon hit a slight setback on Sunday with the failure of the country’s latest rocket launch.
At 7:23 p.m. yesterday evening, the Long March-5 Y2 blasted off from a space launch center in Hainan headed for the stars, tasked with carrying an extremely heavy 7.5-tonne experimental communications satellite into orbit.
However, about 40 minutes after launch, China’s official Xinhua news agency reported that the launch was “unsuccessful,” adding that an “anomaly was detected during the flight,” but failing to provide further explanation.
China says launch of Long March-5 Y2 "unsuccessful". Anomaly was detected during its flight and further investigation will be carried out pic.twitter.com/qQlFVJufB3
— China Xinhua News (@XHNews) July 2, 2017
This was the second launch of the new Long March-5 rocket following a successful maiden mission last year. Later this year, the rocket is scheduled to send the Chang’e-5 lunar probe into space.
After the failure was announced for all the world to hear, Elon Musk said that he could relate:
Sorry to hear about China launch failure today. I know how painful that is to the people who designed & built it. https://t.co/iOkj6egF3O
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) July 2, 2017
Follow Shanghaiist on WeChat