A woman has died in Australia following a botched boob job which was administered by a Chinese “tourist” who had only recently arrived in the country and was not licensed to perform the procedure.
On Wednesday, 35-year-old Jean Huang underwent a breast procedure at a Sydney beauty clinic. The procedure was performed by 33-year-old Jie Shao who injected a local anesthesia and breast fillers into Huang’s chest. However, the operation went horribly wrong when Huang went into cardiac arrest. Shao tried to perform CPR on her patient until paramedics arrived and were able to revive her. However, the woman later died at the hospital on Friday.
Shao, from China, was on a tourist visa and was not qualified to carry out the procedure in Australia. She has a master’s degree from a UK university where she specialized in dermatology. Huang met Shao through friends and agreed to have her perform the procedure. When Shao was taken into custody on Wednesday, she had only been in the country for five days.
On Thursday, Shao appeared in court where she was charged with causing reckless grievous bodily harm and using poison to endanger life, according to news.com.au. Police are likely to pursue further charges now that Huang has died.
Follow Shanghaiist on WeChat