The protest movement in Hong Kong continues to create chaotic ripples overseas, even at events completely unrelated to the demonstrations, like Montreal’s Pride parade.
At the parade, a group of pro-China protesters, wearing red shirts and waving Chinese flags, walked alongside the official parade. As marchers observed the traditional Minute of Silence for victims of HIV/AIDS, homophobia, transphobia, and hate crimes, the Chinese group broke out into China’s national anthem.
A clip of that moment has been shared on Twitter by the South China Morning Post.
#HongKong activists were expelled from Montreal’s Pride Parade “after threats by pro-Communists”. #China supporters later tagged along uninvited and sang the Chinese national anthem during a moment of silence.https://t.co/2SFlF5fFIO pic.twitter.com/uZWFWHwZif
— SCMP News (@SCMPNews) August 29, 2019
A group of pro-Hong Kong protesters, Free HK MTL, had also planned to join the parade, registering beforehand with Montreal Pride. However, a day before the event was to take place, they were banned from taking part because of alleged security threats.
Montreal Pride told the group that it had been informed by police that “pro-Communists” may try to “sabotage” the parade if Free HK MTL took part. With Prime Minister Justin Trudeau set to march in the parade, the organization said that police had been “very clear” about the group not being allowed to attend.
However, when questioned about the matter, Montreal police said that they had not given parade organizers any advice or warning regarding threats from pro-China activists.
Montreal Pride has not yet explained this discrepancy or the nature of the alleged threats.


