A Shandong man has been jailed for maliciously spreading intimate photos of his ex-girlfriend, Deputy Secretary of the Communist Youth League of Jining Vocational Technology College Zheng Yuanyuan (CN).
Jiangsu Television reports (CN) that the man, Ma Shenke, is an ex-boyfriend of Zheng’s as well as being a huge asshole. Ma uploaded the photos to have his “revenge” against Zheng for leaving him. The photos, which depict the couple standing half-naked in front of a mirror as well as engaged in what stuffy newspapers would call “a sex act”, spread like wildfire over Weibo. Zheng has since stepped down from her position at Jining Vocational and Technical College. The timing of this particular leak was unfortunate, coming as it did in the wake of the Lei Zhengfu sex tape scandal, making it more popular than it might otherwise have been.
Ma was arrested and detained for 10 days by Jining police, he was released earlier this week. Following his release he uploaded a statement apologizing (kind of) for his actions (translation by Shanghaiist):
1. I apologize to Zheng Yuanyuan, and her family and friends.
2. Contrary to some reports I did not upload any audio or video clips.
3. Only I was involved in uploading the photos.
4. The photos were uploaded because of a lovers’ quarrel, please don’t spread rumours.
5. Only we were involved in taking the photos, no-one else.
6. Please do not repost the photos.
7. Zheng Yuanyuan has already left the school and Jining so please don’t go looking for her.
Ma’s statement makes it clear that the people really at fault for Zheng’s distress are the Weibo users who spread the photos and “rumours”, not the bitter misogynistic who uploaded them in the first place just to screw over his ex-girlfriend.
Lest anyone think he’s anything other than a giant asshole, Ma posted on a Baidu forum that he would have uploaded video of the couple but couldn’t, because of “technical difficulties”.
(Additional reporting by Beth Main)