Authorities launched the unpopular policy of demolishing tombs in 2012. Henan’s provincial government said it was necessary to provide more land for agriculture. More than two million tombs had been destroyed since March 2012, the government claimed.
But Ge Hao, deputy official in charge of funeral affairs of small county Taikang, estimated about half the demolished tombs had been reconstructed.
In Wang Village, officials spent two days demolishing 160 tombs several months ago. But it took villagers only two hours to rebuild them during Chinese New Year, local man Wang Xinsheng told the [China Business Daily].
In November 2012, the State Council ordered a halt to the grave demolitions with new regulations that came into effect in January of this year. But local officials pledged that the “reform of funerals and interment” would continue, and the Global Times reported Tuesday that village leaders in Zhoukou, one of the cities spearheading the project, were ordered last weekend to tear down the rebuilt tombs.