By Katie Nelson
Image credit: Beijing Patrol
Shanghai schools are taking steps to tighten security after a knife attack on Wednesday that left two dead and 11 injured near Jinhui Elementary school in the Fengxian District.
Shanghai Daily reports:
Entrance doors must be locked and no unauthorized personnel allowed to enter schools when students are having classes, according to a notice issued to all middle schools, elementary schools and kindergartens yesterday by the city’s education authorities.
A security guard stationed in a Pudong kindergarten also said that pepper spray, helmets and rubber clubs have been allocated among guards by the authorities.
Most of those injured in Wednesday’s attack-including 6 young children-suffered head wounds from the attack. All 11 victims are being hospitalized, but so far none the injuries are being considered as life-threatening, the president of Fengxian Central Hospital told China Daily.
The assailant has been detained and is also being hospitalized for wounds inflicted by residents at the scene who charged him with bricks and clubs. Police are also investigating whether or not said assailant has had any history of mental illness.
The residents who rushed at the attacker are being praised for their heroism.
The attack is said to have been provoked by a money-related argument between the knifeman and his relatives. His sister and mother-in-law were both found dead in their apartment near the scene.