A 28-year-old man from Xinjiang was rushed to hospital earlier this week after he swallowed eight 15cm nails in a bid to impress his friends.
According to Tencent, the resident of Aksu city swallowed the nails on March 17, but didn’t report any pain until more than two months later on May 24.
Two months ago the he had tried to claim to his friends that he was a trained sword swallower. After being mocked by his friends, to their surprise he took out a pack of large nails from his pocket and began to ingest them one by one.
After he had swallowed the eighth nail his friends stopped him, fearing that he might hurt himself. If they were good friends, you’d think they might have talked him out of eating the first one.
Doctors were shocked by the X-ray images which showed that several nails had pierced his stomach. He was sent for immediate surgery to remove the nails which could easily have killed him had they worked their way further through the lining of his stomach.
“After swallowing the nails I didn’t feel any pain. I didn’t think anything of it. I never expected it would turn out so bad,” said the man. He later revealed that he had performed a similar stunt several years earlier, but on that occasion his body managed to excrete them.
Back in March, a man from Shanghai also tried unsuccessfully to introduce 15cm nails to his diet, swallowing one in anger after a fight with his wife and ending up in hospital. That’ll show her.
[Image via Tencent]