A Wuhan resident surnamed Zhang was rolling down the street on Saturday afternoon when suddenly he felt a burst of heat on his thigh, he reached down to touch his leg and almost pissed himself in fright.
His mobile phone had apparently spontaneously exploded inside his pocket and now his pocket was scorching hot. Acting quickly, Zhang did the only thing he could, stripping off his pants and throwing the searing phone onto the ground.
A Chutian Metropolis Daily reporter rushed to the scene to see the smoldering remains of Zhang’s smartphone. The phone was labeled with a Samsung logo and inside it was listed as model SM-G9009W. The man’s pants had a few holes burned through them and the whole scene smelled of smoke.
A rather shaken Zhang told the reporter that he had purchased the phone back in 2014 from a electronics market downtown for 4,000 yuan. Since then, the phone had occasionally become hot after too much use, but nothing even close to this.
Zhang said that if he hadn’t acted quickly, he could have been seriously injured and is currently looking for answers from the manufacturer.
Though judging by the pictures, maybe there is something else behind this incident:
One netizen commented on Weibo: “Dog: ‘Don’t ask me what happened here, I don’t know, I just came because I smelled cooked meat.”
[Images via Chutian Metropolis Daily]