After looking everywhere for a 5-cm-long nail and not finding it, an elderly woman in Jiangxi province began to suspect that her one-year-old grandson had swallowed it up whole. While the boy showed no signs of discomfort, her suspicion was later confirmed by X-ray.
The grandma had let the boy play with the nail, thinking that it was too long to be swallowed anyway. One minute, he was holding it in his hand, the next minute, it was gone. As it turns out, she was wrong about the nail being “too long.”
South.cn reports that the X-ray showed that the nail was in fact located in the boy’s abdomen; however, the local hospital was not capable of providing the treatment he needed. Instead, the poor kid was taken to a reputed gastrointestinal hospital in Guangdong.
By the time the family arrived, a day had already passed and another X-ray examination showed that the nail had shifted position. It was now too deep to be safely removed via endoscopy.
Surgery was immediately carried out and the procedure lasted for an hour. Doctors said that the boy was lucky to have not had his stomach or intestines punctured by the nail. The operation was a success and he is ready to be discharged from the hospital after two or three days.
On the bright side, swallowing thin metal objects is a skill that will surely come in handy when this kid grows up and has a quarrel with his future wife.
By Victor Fung
[Images via SouthCN]