On Friday night, diners at a hot pot restaurant in Shanghai got one more fresh ingredient than they bargained for when a huge rat suddenly fell out of the ceiling and onto an empty serving cart, where it flopped around for a bit before dying.
The surprising scene frightened customers at the Wujiaochang outlet of the popular hot pot chain, Sichuan Xiang Tianxia (四川香天下), eliciting shrieks and screams from those seated nearby, none of whom had ordered the large rodent.
A witness said that while the rat initially survived the fall, it soon breathed its last after several twitches.
While a worker tried to quickly hustle the trolley away, several customers were able to capture the scene on camera and then upload the footage online.
Afterward, the restaurant waived the bill for diners, though that did not stop the bad reviews. One customer wrote on Dianping that the rat had already been seen earlier that night at other areas inside the restaurant, but had been simply ignored by staff.
Later, local authorities explained that the restaurant had spread rat poison the night before, hoping to exterminate its rat problem. Now, the Yangpu District Market Supervision and Managment Bureau has ordered the outlet to close up shop while it deals with its rodent infestation.
Of course, rats falling from ceilings in restaurants is a fact of life in Shanghai. Earlier this year, one was spotted scurrying about the ready-made meals at a FamilyMart inside the West Nanjing Road metro station.
Obviously, harsher punitive measures must be taken.
[Images via The Paper]
Follow Shanghaiist on WeChat